Running is a widespread recreational activity. However, a large portion of those who engage in running can suffer from running-related injuries at some point in their lives. Injuries to the feet can be common among these running-related injuries. There are several steps that you might take to prevent running injuries to your feet. First, you can be diligent about stretching your feet both before and after your runs, focusing also on the lower calves. This serves to loosen the muscles in your feet, effectively reducing tension and strain. Second, you might consider receiving some kind of regular foot massage treatment to further relax the muscles in your feet. This might be particularly effective if you notice that muscles in your feet or lower legs are becoming sore. Third, you might avoid running on uneven surfaces. This is recommended because uneven terrain can increase the likelihood of falls, which can wreak havoc on your feet. If you engage in running, it is a good decision to consult with a podiatrist about how to proactively prevent running injuries.
Exercising your feet regularly with the proper foot wear is a great way to prevent injuries. If you have any concerns about your feet, contact Dr. Kennedy Legel of Advanced Foot & Ankle Care Specialists. Our doctor will treat your foot and ankle needs.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
Many common running injuries are caused by overuse and overtraining. When the back of the kneecap starts wearing out and starts causing pain in your knee, this is commonly referred to as runner’s knee. Runner’s knee is a decrease in strength in your quadriceps and can occur if you’re not wearing properly fitted or supporting shoes. To prevent runner’s knee, focusing on hip strengthening is a good idea, as well as strengthening your quads to keep the kneecaps aligned.
What Are Some Causes of Running Injuries?
– One cause of a common running injury is called iliotibial band syndrome.
– Plantar fasciitis is also another common injury.
– Stress fractures can occur from overtraining, lack of calcium, or even your running style.
Best Ways to Prevent Running Injuries
– Wear footwear that fits properly and suits your running needs.
– Running shoes are the only protective gear that runners have to safeguard them from injury.
– Make a training schedule. Adding strengthening exercises as well as regular stretching can help keep you strong and limber and can lessen the possibility of injuries.
– Stretching keeps muscles limber; this will help you gain better flexibility.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office located in Dallas, TX . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.